Sunday, January 15, 2012

"We're so lucky to have you!"

Hello, friends!! Happy 3 day weekend!!

Last week was the first full week of school. It was a great and challenging week! Monday was probably the best day (I know, I did a double take when I typed that). I was able to teach by myself for the first hour because my teacher had a meeting. It was nice to be in the room with just the kids. It took the pressure off of me a little because as a student teacher, I feel like I'm constantly being watched. It's hard to remember that nobody is waiting for me to fail! Monday also began the week of sickness. I was fortunate enough (please note the sarcasm) to witness one of my poor kiddos throwing up all over the hallway. And he was trying to talk to me mid-throw up! What a trooper... I think he was not only embarrassed that he was throwing up, but also that his throw up was pink. Poor guy. It seemed like there were many kids absent because of sickness the rest of the week. I'm just patiently waiting until it hits me...

Wednesday I was able to teach my first real math lesson. I was so excited, yet so nervous for this lesson because I love math and want to do it justice!! We were doing bar models in math, and those are really hard for the kids to grasp! They are pretty abstract. During my lesson, I did hear one of my struggling kids say, "Math is kind of fun!" I just about died-how wonderful to hear!!! My teacher had great things to say about my lesson, so that was great! I led reading groups this whole week and those went pretty smoothly, too.

Next week I will be teaching two math lessons, one science lesson, reading groups, spelling, daily language, math for today, and calendar. Lots of planning, but I am excited to start the week!

The most exciting part of this coming week happens on Tuesday night-my first real job interview!!!! It's in Kansas City, so I will be leaving school a little early on Tuesday and driving back Wednesday morning. Tuesday and Wednesday will be long days, but hopefully worth it! I'm getting very nervous for it!! Eek!

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend! Now, off to planning!

Miss Wallisch

P.S. The title of this post is what one of my kids said to me on Friday. It's the little things...:)

1 comment: