Sunday, January 22, 2012

And The Portfolio Work Begins...

Hello, friends! I hope you've all had a great weekend and are ready to tackle another week!!

Sorry it's been a while since I've posted. I am currently sitting here in bed with my cat on my lap, about ready to go to sleep because all my grading and lesson plans are done!! :) Life seems pretty good right now!

Last week seemed to fly by!! Holy moly! It was a crazy week. We didn't have school Monday, so it was only a four day week. I wish we had four day weeks every week! My interview was Tuesday night, so I was not focused at all on Tuesday. I felt bad for my kids-I was probably not giving them the attention and focus they usually get from me. I left school around 3 to make sure I made it to my 6:30 interview on time (it was in Kansas City). I only got there with an hour and a half to spare-C L O S E  C A L L!! So, I changed into my interview outfit and hung out at classy Arby's for about an hour. Basically, I sat in a booth trying not to throw up from nerves. I interviewed with a principal of one of the elementary schools in the district. She graduated from K-State and student taught in third grade, too! I think the interview went really well!! I'm not holding my breath or expecting an offer because the school district is INCREDIBLE-one of the best in Missouri. They're probably looking for more experience. However, I am so fortunate I was able to interview and gain that experience! I definitely learned from it!

I got to teach two math lessons, a science lesson, reading groups every day, and spelling. At this point, I feel like a very ineffective teacher. I know that I have so much to learn, and I am probably very hard on myself, but I wish that I felt like I was doing a better job. I wish I was better at differentiating instruction. My kids are so different, and I sometimes feel like I'm teaching them like they all have the same needs. I tend to stay in my comfort zone when teaching. I would like to branch out and experiment with new things in the classroom. I guess that comes with time...Hopefully this week will boost my confidence a bit!

We student teachers get to start working on our portfolios-joy! The first entry is due this Friday for the student teachers at my school. I know it will get done, so there's no need for me to stress about it, right?? Right...

I found out I will be teaching fourth graders for my short block. At the school I am teaching at, they give student teachers the opportunity to teach in two different grades to give you more experience. We call it long and short block. The move to fourth grade won't happen until April 9 though, so I still have plenty of time to enjoy teaching my third graders! I love the fact that I have an opportunity to experience two different grade levels during student teaching.

Ok, that's all I have for now! Have a great week! Sorry for any typos...I'm too lazy to proofread! :)

Miss Wallisch

No comments:

Post a Comment