Sunday, January 29, 2012

Happy birthday, Kansas!!

Kansas turns 151 years old today! Happy birthday, Kansas! This past week, we've been "road tripping" through Kansas during Social Studies and hitting all the hot spots of the state. It's been really fun for the kids. I think they are starting to realize they live in a pretty cool state (or at least I think so!). :)

Last week was CRAZY to say the least. It felt like the longest week of my life. I taught two math lessons over subtracting money. It's a pretty dry concept, so I couldn't really make it very fun. Sorry, kids. I also taught two science lessons that went over a lot better than my math lessons did. They did experiments involving electricity. They got to make a light bulb light up using a battery. Oh my, they LOVED doing that!! They were so excited to see their light bulb light up after their hard work of making a complete circuit! Next week, I am teaching two more science lessons and they will get to make a motor run using a battery. I think they'll love that just as much! :)

Last week I started back up at my job at the Union. Definitely makes for some LONG days-going from working 8 hours at the school right to work at the Union. Oh well. Gives me less time to procrastinate! This week I have two formal lesson observations. I have a lot of work to do before tomorrow begins. I will be observed during one science and one math lesson. My math lesson will be over converting hours and minutes. Again, another pretty dry concept. Oh well. I'm realizing this semester that you can't make all your lessons fun and exciting for the kids. Sometimes, they are going to be a little bored. It's just not realistic to make every lesson fun and engaging at every point of the lesson.

I'm feeling really great about student teaching so far. I really get along with my cooperating teachers (yup, I have two!) and the kids. All the planning and stress is worth it when I see the kids every day. Of course, I still have my doubts about whether I'm cut out for this profession or not, but I think all teachers go through this. Right? I hope so...

My unit on measurement begins the 6th. LOTS to do before I can get started teaching that! I need to quit blogging and get to work!

Hope everyone has a great week!

Miss Wallisch

No comments:

Post a Comment